On having and using a Code of Conduct

Hey folks,

We've been having some very tense discussions in various fora lately,
and it's striking that yet again we seem to be re-hashing arguments
about having a Code of Conduct [1], and enforcing it. It's massively
draining, and should not be necessary.

Fundamentally, I don't believe the adoption of our Code of Conduct
should be controversial. It's not like there are any points in it that
were not already valid as the most basic rules for interaction, even
before it was officially ratified.

For those trying to undermine it with statements like "I'm worried
I'll be thrown out of Debian if I make a single mistake", please give
it a rest already. These are basic principles on how we want all
people to interact. If you make a mistake and do a bad thing, people
will tell you and ask you to re-word, apologise, whatever. It happens
to all of us, nobody is perfect. Accept it, learn from it and move on.

A mistake doesn't make you a *bad person*. What *does* cause problems
is repeated digressions and a refusal to improve behaviour. There's a
world of difference there.

[1] https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.