Re: Power-Management

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:00:42AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 09:35:45AM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > > I was just Wondering if you have any considerations for issuing an
> > > update or designing lets say Debian 10 with Power Management for
> > > laptops in mind.
> >
> > Such modifications are typically (and best) made in a distribution-
> > agnostic manner, rather than being, say, Debian-specific. :)
> >
> > However, may I take this opportunity to promote Jonathan Carter aka
> > highvoltage's "Debian Package of the Day" video series? As it
> > happens, yesterday's package was "powertop":
> >
> >   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3M_g3C15R4
>
> Power Management is a general big issue in Linux on Laptops. I have also
> made the experience that Windows achives vastly better battery run times
> than any Linux I have ever encountered, even if powertop doesn't have
> anything to complain.
>
> Alas, I don't have the slightest idea why,
> maybe somebody can shed a light on that.

My guess is that a large amount of people have the same mindset
as fifteen years ago: "Buying hardware with Microsoft tax
without telling the hardware manufactor that they run Linux"

As long as people buy "windows" laptops for running Linux
is there no incentive for manufactors to care about powermangament
on Linux.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--