Re: Debian packages advertising non-free services

Le Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 01:47:29AM -0400, Scott Kitterman a écrit :

> I think the general rule for software with a FOSS license that has no other
> purpose than to interact with proprietary services is to put it in contrib.

Hi Scott and everybody,

I think that unfortunately there is no clear definition in Debian - hence no
consensus - of what is a "proprietary service".  In the case of s3cmd the
Amazon cloud runs proprietary software, however it is accessed by a public and
stable API, that was actually re-implemented in part by some Free software
projects.  So unless prefer to move packages back and forth to the contrib
area, we should perhaps focus on the API rather than on the remote
implementation ?

It would be a strong message to the World if Debian would manage to update its
foundation documents to recognise the fact that we increasingly rely on remote
services and that we need them to provide freedoms equivalent to what we
guarantee with DFSG.  The current discussion just scratches the surface...

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan