Re: Debian packages advertising non-free services

On Tuesday, August 08, 2017 07:34:47 AM Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  8 août 2017 09:31 +1000, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> :
> >> However, it is easy to find other packages interacting with
> >> proprietary services without a free implementation. For example, any
> >> package interacting with Google Cloud (golang-google-cloud package).
> >
> > I am in agreement with Bas when he says: If other packages also violate
> > our principles or policy, that means they should be fixed, not that this
> > should be allowed.
> >
> > So, “it is not hard to find other packages in Debian [with this
> > problem]” is not addressing the problem.
>
> It was more to highlight that there is absolutely no consensus that
> interacting with proprietary services through the network is the same as
> combining work with a proprietary program.

I think the general rule for software with a FOSS license that has no other
purpose than to interact with proprietary services is to put it in contrib.
That's certainly what I've done.

I think there's a clear consensus that it's not at all the same (otherwise
we'd put it in non-free).

Scott K