Re: How the Debian project organises itself

Thanks Paul, there's some really great stuff there (worth a read, LordFord).

I'm still left wondering about a few practical things though - for example, how is hosting things like the VCS, the mirrors, etc. organised and paid for (or maybe it isn't paid for, hence the partners?) Who organises official events and how are they organised? Who funds events, if anyone? This sort of stuff... maybe it's all outsourced to SPI?

Curious about this, as in Drupal there's "the Drupal Association" which is a centralised organisation that basically handles all this stuff - but in consequence, it also needs a pretty big operating budget! Wondering how Debian avoid this, or how they manage it, if it's simply unavoidable for a large FOSS project?

Cheers,

Greg

On 1 October 2017 at 14:38, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Greg Harvey wrote:

> Does anyone have time to talk to me / can anyone point me at someone (or
> materials) that can talk me through how Debian is organised? Would be a
> useful first step for comparison!

I'm not entirely sure what kind of info you are looking for, hope this helps:

The Debian Constitution defines how some core parts of the project are
organised:

https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution

Beyond that there are teams and individual contributors, who all
organise themselves according to their own priorities and needs (or
those of their employers):

https://www.debian.org/intro/organization
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams
https://contributors.debian.org/

We have codes of conduct for Debian itself and for individuals in the
context of contributing to Debian:

https://www.debian.org/social_contract
https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

Most of our communication happens on mailing lists, IRC, at the annual
conference and other events:

https://lists.debian.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/IRC
https://debconf.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/MiniDebConf

We delegate some things to external entities:

https://wiki.debian.org/ExternalEntities

--
bye,
pabs