Re: GitHub Open Source Survey 2017

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:23:30PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Hi -project,
>
> GitHub recently published the announcements of their 2017 Open Source
> Survey:
>
>   http://opensourcesurvey.org/2017/
>

> I was wondering whether any fellow developers had read this and whether
> they had evaulated it in the context of the Debian project. To kick this
> off, let me quote some of their key insights:
>
>  * Documentation is highly valued, frequently overlooked, and a
>    means for establishing inclusive and accessible communities.

Debian gets this. It's relatively well documented.

>  * Negative interactions are infrequent but highly visible, with
>    consequences for project activity.

Much more visible here because we don't tend to hide problems,
potentially. It has had HUGE consequences for a few things but,
in general Debian works well

>  * Open source is used by the whole world, but its contributors
>    don't yet reflect its broad audience.

We do better than many - and we know where we're under-representative.

>  * Using and contributing to open source often happens on the job.

Or in universities / bedrooms ... we understand FLOSS better than most.

>  * Open source is the default when choosing software.

Tell me again, what part of closed source software is part of Debian
main? :)

All best

Andy C