Re: Debian contributor Register of Interests

Le Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:10:39PM +0200, Philip Hands a écrit :

> Also, I suspect that anyone that might be tempted to misbehave as a
> result of CoI will not have filled in their entry anyway, which makes me
> wonder what useful purpose this could serve beyond a virtue signalling
> opportunity.

Hi Philip and everybody,

Preventing misbehaviours is only one side of the issue.  Situations of
conflicts of interests also arise when the public, stakeholders,
colleagues, etc. may have strong feelings that a decision is biased,
which undermines the credibility of persons or decision-making bodies.
In this case, declarations of conflicts of interest leading to step aside
of a decision-making process protect people and institutions from
potentially harmful controversies.

This said, since the situations of conflict of interest arise in
specific contexts, I wonder if a broad list like the one of the wiki is
going to be meaningful, although it is a good exercise for people to
think about possible situations they may encounter in the future.  On
the other hand, I would welcome a more systematic declaration of
conflict of interests when some decisions with far-reaching consequences
on the project are being taken.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy