Re: Inappropriate content on planet.debian.org and need of evolution of documentation and CoC

shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> writes:

> Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the mailing list. Please excuse
> the non-brievity of the mail.

> Couple of weeks back, I put up a blog post
> https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/the-tale-of-the-dancing-girl-nsfw/

> Because the subject matter is mature and uncomfortable to many people
> my feed was turned off.

> In response I was given/shared three documents/links  -

> https://wiki.debian.org/PlanetDebian

> To be more precise it was
> https://wiki.debian.org/PlanetDebian?action=diff&rev2=49&rev1=48

Per the follow-up message, I don't have the full context on your post or
why your feed was turned off, and therefore don't really want to address
that directly.  However, the statement:

    The content should be such that it is suitable for people over 12
    years of age.

now in the PlanetDebian wiki page added with the above revision is, if
true, quite significant.  If that is Planet Debian policy, I'll switch my
aggregation feed for planet.debian.org over to only posts I explicitly tag
with Debian, which will mean removing nearly all of my posts.

A lot of people have very different ideas about what is and isn't
appropriate for people above 12 years old.  I currently aggregate my
entire journal there at the specific request of other Planet Debian
readers in a previous discussion here after a question about whether
people wanted to see my book reviews.  But I have no intention to get into
the murky territory of whether my book reviews are always appropriate for
anyone over the age of 12.  I read a wide variety of different things, I
review books with significant sexual themes, and I do not promise to never
review erotica.  I review essentially everything I read, since that's the
whole point of my book review site for me, and I'm an adult who reads
books aimed at adults that may or may not be appropriate for a
12-year-old.

These reviews have always been something I just put on the Internet for
anyone to take or leave, no expectations or requirements on my side.  I
will always make an effort to avoid posting content that is racist,
sexist, bigoted, or otherwise easily understandable as attacks on the
existence or legitimacy of certain people.  But I'm not going to
second-guess what I post to it in the area of sexuality; I have strong
personal objections to that form of content filtering, and I do not
believe discussing sexuality in the sort of objective way that I would in
a book review is something that should, or does, fail Debian's code of
conduct.

If I'm out of step on that and it's not welcome content on Planet Debian,
I'm happy to remove it.

(I'm also pretty mystified about the application of Debconf's code of
conduct to Planet Debian, if that is indeed something being considered.  I
would treat those very differently; content that's acceptable as words on
the Internet may be entirely out of line in an environment where children
are physically present, and I would always check the audience and
environment before discussing sexuality in person at a conference.
On-line communication is far different because there's no way to check the
audience; once it's on-line, anyone on the Internet may be reading it.)

Anyway, I know that so far this is just one post and I'm missing a ton of
context here, and I'm not going to do anything rash or rush to judgement.
I just wanted to make sure anyone considering this is aware of the above
and the implications of the implied policy change of this edit to the
Planet Debian wiki.