Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:39:30PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > > motivation. being able to say "I'm the maintainer of $foo" is a *great*
> > > motivation for many. Taking this away *might* cause a lot more harm that
> > > gain.
> > Why would this be taken away?
>
> motivation works in strange ways. and it doesnt work the same all of us
> too…

I agree that motivation is important and different.  From my personal
point of view it does not matter who is named in the Maintainer field
but in the latest changelog field since this person has done recent
work.  To support this I frequently leave "Team uploads" of people who
did a slight contribution in a changelog with several people
contributing instead of simply using my Uploader hat to become changelog
owner.  So we have several packages uploaded by GSoC students who
contributed autopkgtests and these changelog owners are even prominently
displayed on the Debian Med tasks pages.

> I do agree with zack's original goal here however. And I also understood that
> he is well aware that this needs changes in our culture. I just wanted to
> point out that this aspect of our  cultur is not only harmful but also has
> huge benefits. So I'm wondering, maybe instead of getting rid of the
> maintainer field, we should get rid of the uploaders field and allow several
> maintainers in the maintainers field? I dunno.

I admit I do not mind about the name of the field as long as the
principle which Zack had in mind will be realised.  BTW, keeping the
Maintainer field as a mailing list address - and allow only mailing
lists there is another option.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] Feel free to seek for "Canberk Koç" and "Tatiana Malygina" at
    https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio

--
http://fam-tille.de