Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

]] Ian Jackson

> Imagine the roles were replaced.  Imagine the actual petitioners (P
> and W, for the same of argument) were the current maintainers, and the
> actual current maintainer (R) were a petitioner saying "please make me
> the maintainer".  Would the TC would spend months debating before
> dismissing such a manifestly unfounded petition ?

That's a very hypothetical question which is hard to answer without more
context of what P and W had done lately in terms of maintaining the
package.

> Can you explain why the TC is so reluctant to depose or overrule
> maintainers ?

Because I generally find it's generally the wrong tool for the job.  If
I can come up with a good explanation for why somebody should take a
particular course of action (which I need before I'm willing to override
anybody), and I take the time to explain it to them and discuss with
them, I find we usually end up agreeing.

The goal is not to end up with a new maintainer.  Deposing a maintainer
or overriding them is sometimes a necessary evil, but it's never my
first option.

--
Tollef Fog Heen