Re: Publicly-readable list for only DDs and DMs to post to

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> I do think the example of Ubuntu splitting ubuntu-devel into ubuntu-devel and
> ubuntu-devel-discuss may be a relevant data point.  As an active participant
> in Ubuntu development both before and after the split I paid attention to it
> (and remained subscribed to ubuntu-devel-discuss long after most other
> developers had unsubscribed).

I would in opposition think that having ubuntu-devel and
ubuntu-devel-discuss was a bad decision.

As a Debian Developer, I from time to time have a question about how
things are working in the Ubuntu Development. But since I am not an
Ubuntu developer, I can only use the -discuss mailing list. Since, as
you describe, many developers just unsubscribe there, my questions
always have a good chance to remain unanswered, which is at the end bad
for Ubuntu as well -- since I may solve someting non-optimal for Ubuntu,
or even frustated unsubscribe as well there.

The big Plus on Debian is that we have a -devel list that is reachable
for everybody, and the threshold to participate is low. When I try to
get people involved in Debian, I always mention that they can discuss
their issues with the development there when they see a need. Having
the discussion exclusively for the DDs (and DMs) would break our
openness.

So, I would vote against such a mailing list. If one sees the need for a
filtered one, he could just setup a filter and let only @debian.org
addresses pass.

Maybe, one could provide some statistics in how big the noise is
actually in debian-devel?

Best regards

Ole