Re: Publicly-readable list for only DDs and DMs to post to

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 05:46:46PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In any case, with the renewed opposition here I'm certainly not going
> to push this issue unless there are others who agree with me and
> disagree with the views of others posted so far.

I agree what you proposed would be an interesting experiment to carry
on.

Debian is committed to openness and transparency, not to empower anyone
who has an opinion on the Internet voice it in every possible Debian
forum. Also https://xkcd.com/1357/ (the "Free Speech" one).

I'm also absolutely unconvinced by the "raising the barrier of entry"
argument.  First of all what you're proposing is not replacing any
existing communication forum; it's increasing their number, not making
it harder for anyone out there to contribute.  Second, I don't buy that
posting to a public mailing list is necessarily a contribution; it might
be, or it might be not. In almost all cases where it actually is a
contribution, I can see it being more helpful and better tracker if it
is sent elsewhere, and most notably our BTS---which you're not proposing
tightening in any way. Sure, there would be cases where a mail from a
non-DD/DM is a useful contribution and we would be making it hard to
receive it, but the price we are currently paying for empowering those
(IMO very rare) contributions is likely reduced participation by DDs/DMs
that feel overwhelmed, if not scared, by the kind of traffic we
currently have on -devel.

Plus, I love having data to base decisions on. And we currently have no
idea of how such a list would work out. Let's just try it as an
experiment and see how it goes.

I won't have time/energy to push for this idea more than this. But if
you were in need of gentle encouragement... here you go :-)

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .