Aw: Re: academic alliances or the like

Hi Morten,

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 10. April 2016 um 12:52 Uhr
> Von: "Morten Bo Nielsen" <mon@eal.dk>
> An: "Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org>
> Cc: "debian-project@lists.debian.org" <debian-project@lists.debian.org>
> Betreff: Re: academic alliances or the like
>
> On 2016-04-06 17:09, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Morten Bo Nielsen wrote:
> >
> >> I am searching for a way to cooperate with the Debian project.
> >> Have there ever been thoughts on doing a Debian "academic alliance"
> >> style partnerships?
> > I don't recall any discussion around these themes.

I find that the concept of Debian Blends pretty much aims at getting
particular communities together. Please check out
  https://www.debian.org/blends/
and the associated mailing lists. There are no formalities attached.
Those who do good are recognised as such by their peers. Every community
has some individuals that are more active and some that are less,
so in practice you find your explicit partner.

And we have https://www.debian.org/partners/ .

> >> 2) course material that makes it easy for me to teach linux from a
> >> Debian point of view
> > We don't really have teaching material AFAIK, but perhaps some of our
> > user and developer documentation is useful to you:
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/

Yes, both the material and an infrastructure for the material are important.
For instance I find readthedocs to be beyond what the contributors to
Debian have yet at their disposal.

Part of the difficulty is to have the important bits translated to all
the various languages out there. You will be amazed how much there is
e.g. for Danish.

> >> 3) some organizational structure where my students can contribute on
> >> their level
> > There are lots of opportunities for students and other newcomers to
> > contribute in various ways depending on their skill set. Probably the
> > most relevant here are the Outreachy and Google Summer of Code
> > internship programs. In addition, the how-can-i-help package can point
> > out issues that might be suitable for newcomers to tackle as well as
> > issues relating to the system it is installed on.
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/intro/help
> > https://wiki.debian.org/gsoc
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Outreachy
> > https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=newcomer

The most amazing offer in this respect is the Menotring of the Month
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
I tend to think. But also the regular mentors list
https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/
is always constructive and
helpful, but more for those who know what they are after and less personal.

> Thanks for all the feedback.
>
> I will spend some time going through your suggested links and other
> Debian related resources. There is a lot, and maybe it will not be hard
> work to compile and gift wrap a "Linux from scratch using Debian"
> course. As Ian suggests (cheekily...), it is a good candidate for a
> course that the students contribute to and help to find relevant
> material. I will get back to you, if/when I have looked into it.
>
> My biggest issue is related to how to find industry partners. Debian
> doesn't keep a record of it and keeping track of persons/companies
> doing  downloads/updates is not something we want,  so we will have do
> it differently.

I propose you set up a site with you offering to mentor your students
for real world problems in local industry - and why not also a bit abroad.

> I don't have good ideas right now, but it is important for me to be able
> to document to my boss and collegues that Debian is relevant for  the
> students :-)

:) Maybe some three letters like 'IoT' suffice. With Debian (or its derivatices)
your students can do everything, i.e. from embedded via mobile to HPC and big data, on
the same platform, bare metal or virtual. Everything is inspectable, rebuildable,
changeable and traceable at runtime. Quite a platform for learning and as a help
to find one's deeper interests.

Steffen