Re: academic alliances or the like

On 2016-04-06 17:09, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Morten Bo Nielsen wrote:
>
>> I am searching for a way to cooperate with the Debian project.
>> Have there ever been thoughts on doing a Debian "academic alliance"
>> style partnerships?
> I don't recall any discussion around these themes.
>
>> My wish list
>> 1) a contact person that could help me find relevant local/regional
>> companies that use Debian
> We have a list of companies using Debian on the website:
>
> https://www.debian.org/users/#com
>
> There are also some companies and individuals doing Debian consulting:
>
> https://www.debian.org/consultants/
>
>> 2) course material that makes it easy for me to teach linux from a
>> Debian point of view
> We don't really have teaching material AFAIK, but perhaps some of our
> user and developer documentation is useful to you:
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/
>
>> 3) some organizational structure where my students can contribute on
>> their level
> There are lots of opportunities for students and other newcomers to
> contribute in various ways depending on their skill set. Probably the
> most relevant here are the Outreachy and Google Summer of Code
> internship programs. In addition, the how-can-i-help package can point
> out issues that might be suitable for newcomers to tackle as well as
> issues relating to the system it is installed on.
>
> https://www.debian.org/intro/help
> https://wiki.debian.org/gsoc
> https://wiki.debian.org/Outreachy
> https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=newcomer

Thanks for all the feedback.

I will spend some time going through your suggested links and other
Debian related resources. There is a lot, and maybe it will not be hard
work to compile and gift wrap a "Linux from scratch using Debian"
course. As Ian suggests (cheekily...), it is a good candidate for a
course that the students contribute to and help to find relevant
material. I will get back to you, if/when I have looked into it.

My biggest issue is related to how to find industry partners. Debian
doesn't keep a record of it and keeping track of persons/companies
doing  downloads/updates is not something we want,  so we will have do
it differently.
I don't have good ideas right now, but it is important for me to be able
to document to my boss and collegues that Debian is relevant for  the
students :-)

regards
Morten Bo Nielsen
ass. professor, IT engineering