Re: Any Debian support for CubaConf

On 27/02/16 04:05, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Daniel Pocock dijo [Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:10:15AM +0100]:
>> Maybe it is worthwhile for the DPL to simply assign a sum of
>> money for travel grants every 3 - 6 months and then people could
>> shortlist all the opportunities like this, identify if there are
>> volunteers who want to go and find some way to divide the money
>> up fairly between them?
>>
>> The MiniDebConfs in Brazil and Singapore have already been
>> mentioned in a thread last week, there is also a MiniDebConf in
>> Vienna soon and all of these appear interesting.
>
> With the important difference that it's not the same to have
> Debian presence at an external, general conference than holding a
> Debian-specific miniconf.

That would be one factor in comparing events when there are several
competing demands for funds.  Some non-Debian events also offer
partial or full funding to speakers and so it is not always being
requested from Debian.

> FWIW, I'm *not* implying we should refrain from supporting
> CubaConf. In fact, I was privately contacted by Valessio, as I'm
> among the closest DDs to the island;I denied because the dates are
> impossible to me.
>
> Also worth noting: Back in 2011, I went to PGDay in Cuba, together
> with other three people with a PostgreSQL affiliation. PostgreSQL
> is a SPI-hosted project as well. SPI was, however, unable to
> reimburse our travel due to the US-Cuba embargo.
>
> I know the relations between said nations is on its way to
> renormalization, but AFAICT the embargo is still active, so we
> should better check with lawyers if we are to offer reimbursement
> to anybody to attend.

Debian does not have an exclusive relationship with SPI, the audit
committee wiki page[1] lists several Debian trust organizations in
European countries.

The lawyer may also need to advise on issues such as:
- can US citizens be involved in discussions about such funding?
- can infrastructure in the US be used to discuss such funding (e.g.
mailing lists, wiki, or the BTS)

Whatever the legal advice, Debian would also need to be careful not to
give sponsors in the US the impression that their funds could
accidentally be used in this way.

Maybe somebody could just end up in Cuba by mistake[2] though.

1. https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Auditor
2. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35259429