Re: Debian Project Contribution - Sheetal

in-line :-

On 10/12/2015, Amey Abhyankar <sco1984@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 December 2015 at 02:18, sheetal shalini <sheetalsh456@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi, My name is Sheetal and I am doing my Btech 2nd year. I am keenly
>> interested in contributing to your organization, by taking up open source
>> projects.

Hi Sheetal,

> Namaste! /नमस्ते!
>
> ~~ Welcome to Debian project ~~
>

>> I know C++, C, Python, HTML, CSS, JS, Django. I use Ubuntu OS. I have
>> knowledge of Web and Android App Development, and I am currently
>> developing
>> tools for an open Source Software. My knowledge in this regard will
>> definitely be useful in contributing to your Project.

A debian user here. The first thing I would suggest is to install
debian on your system. There are some differences between Debian and
Ubuntu. That will give you some idea of the differences between the
two distributions. A better way would be instead of installing jessie
is to start with any of the net install images given here -

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

You could either try the alpha 4 of stretch or the current weekly, the
current weekly might fail (or not) but you would be at current testing
stage although the best would be to be at sid/unstable if you really
want to help.

See the errata before trying the testing net-install though.

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

One of the first contributions you can do is file the an installation
report sharing whatever happens and happened during the installation
stage.

See http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/ch05s04.html

If everything works out and you are in debian unstable/sid then you
can take a look at

https://udd.debian.org/bugs/?release=stretch&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&flastmodval=7&rc=1&gift=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc&format=html#results

Most of them are tagged 'newcomer' or 'gift' bugs. You could try
fixing few of those to have an idea of some of the package. Before
doing anything, using apt or aptitude to get more information about
the package and if you like it, then read and fix it. Make sure you
have the development, debug and source packages installed to make it
easier for yourself. Debian wiki does share how to tailor your
/etc/apt/sources.list so you could have all of that.

If however you are looking at GSOC projects you should head to
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/ and
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/Projects  as well as also see
projects of couple of years before that. There are lot of good ideas
which haven't been able to see the light of the day as either there
was no mentor or no candidate applied for it. There may also be some
ideas which need to be developed to be GSOC ideas as well.

You should also join IRC and traverse #debian-gsoc and #debian-devel
and talk to people if you are thinking to apply for GSOC. They will be
able to guide you more effectively.

Hope some of the above helps you to have a smoother experience of Debian.

Belatedly, welcome to Debian :)

And btw, interested to know what tools you are developing for foss development.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल