Re: vmdebootstrap sprint report

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:53:11AM -0200, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
>Vincent,
>
>> There has been some efforts around bootstrap-vz for cloud images inside
>> the Debian Cloud team. Zigo also has its own tool to publish "blessed"
>> Openstack images (but they work fine for other clouds too). As far as I
>> know, this plan to also provide official Debian VM images was not
>> discussed with those parties.
>>
>> It's a bit a pity to see the existing efforts just discarded.
>
>I *really* hope that there is some kind of misunderstanding here. Since the
>first time I heard about vmdebootstrap, on Steve McIntyre's report about Debian
>CD BoF at DebConf15[1], I thought that it was a tool related to Live Images
>only. It's scary to think that its intention is to also replace a tool like
>bootstrap-vz that has been used for years, is currently maintained and is
>pretty stable. Specially when not even mentioning this to the Debian Cloud
>Team.

vmdebootstrap is a generic tool which *can* be used as a base for all
sorts of live-type images. To the best of my knowledge, there's no
grand plan by anyone to force this (or *any* tool) on
anybody. However, as Riku pointed out at DC15 we have *many* different
image generation tools in use in and around Debian and it might be
nice to share some efforts and tools where it makes sense in future.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll