Re: vmdebootstrap sprint report

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:53:11AM -0200, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> > There has been some efforts around bootstrap-vz for cloud images inside
> > the Debian Cloud team. Zigo also has its own tool to publish "blessed"
> > Openstack images (but they work fine for other clouds too). As far as I
> > know, this plan to also provide official Debian VM images was not
> > discussed with those parties.
> >
> > It's a bit a pity to see the existing efforts just discarded.
>
> I *really* hope that there is some kind of misunderstanding here. Since the
> first time I heard about vmdebootstrap, on Steve McIntyre's report about Debian
> CD BoF at DebConf15[1], I thought that it was a tool related to Live Images
> only. It's scary to think that its intention is to also replace a tool like
> bootstrap-vz that has been used for years, is currently maintained and is
> pretty stable. Specially when not even mentioning this to the Debian Cloud
> Team.
>
> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2015/09/msg00030.html

FWIW, I recently added code to generate VM images with vmdebootstrap to
the debian-vm-templates repository of the cloud team:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/cloud/debian-vm-templates.git/tree/vmdebootstrap-generic-qcow2

There is no special reason for that, it uses vmdebootstrap just because
it's what I already know how to use, and it fullfils my needs.

So strictly speaking, vmdebootstrap is not a novelty for 100% of the
cloud team. That does not invalidate, however, the point about the
existance of other tools and the expectation about the cloud team having
input in the choice of tool for building official VM images even if in
the end the choice is at the discretion of the debian-cd team.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>