Re: About the recent DD retirements

On 01/22/2015 03:35 AM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
However, the original poster made a very
interesting, long mail, with some questions to which the answers might
be interesting for the general public to read. I will take the freedom
to quote the questions along with my answers. Mr. Original Poster, if
you care to identify yourself and forward your full message, I'll be
happy.
It actually was not that long. Your reply was much longer and much more enlighting. Thanks for that!
Here is the content of my original email. I'll reply to your reply in another mail to not mix those.

Friendly, Torsten

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Not retiring, but worried about the current trend - are we doing something wrong?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 23:40:49 +0100
From: Torsten Landschoff <torsten@landschoff.net>
To: debian-private@lists.debian.org

Hello everybody,

[ObPrivate: I am not sure if the amount of retirements currently going on is public knowledge. We should not hide our problems, but I do not want to be the one who makes this public. Also these announcements happen here so this might be the right forum.]

whenever I get the time to read debian-private I find more of those emails with the word "retiring" in the subject line.
Most of those emails mention the lack of time to be a "real" developer as the reason to quit. I have to wonder if doing stuff for Debian or at least carrying the developer/maintainer status means that you are supposed to have copious amounts of time available for your Debian duties.

Because currently I am pretty much out of spare time that I can put into Debian work I feel pressed to retire as well. But I think that Debian would be better off with many helping hands just helping with a little bit instead of loading a few maintainers with dozens of packages.

Looking back I have the impression that Debian has the tendency to suck you in. It is quite addicting to work on stuff that many people are using and what's more to learn so much new stuff in the process. When I got into Debian in 1998 I spent more time on it than on my studies of computer science which took quite a hit. Reading debian-devel almost in full took hours away from me each and every day but I could not stop, mostly consuming information with little output. Whenever I had something to add to a thread I noticed that somebody else shared my point of view and made the point I wanted to make.

Also taking over packages like ghostscript and openldap back then really overwhelmed me because I underestimated the effort required, especially doing stuff like fixing the OpenSSL license dilemma (I actually tried to port OpenLDAP to GnuTLS back then, which was way over my head at the time). I have to say that I had the most fun just doing some QA work like triaging bugs, sending patches etc. because I was not in charge.

This mail already gets too long so I cut it short here.

The questions I want to open up with this email are:
  • do you have the impression that Debian wants only contributors that consistently spend many hours for Debian each month?
  • is there something that can be changed to make it less time consuming to be a good citizen (like better ways to keep up with relevant discussions)?
  • does the concept of "the package maintainer" assign too much responsibility, putting too many eggs in a single basket? (Freezing a package if $maintainer goes MIA, stopping other contributors from moving Debian forward)?

Greetings, Torsten