Re: About the recent DD retirements

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 06:46:16PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> about it).  But there are still a lot of hard and interesting problems,
> which are worth working on.  So, one, we need to figure out how to make
> those problems apparent and provide people leverage to work on them.  But
> we should also consider that the project has a lot of appeal for people

I volunteer one such problems: packaging collections of packages.

simple-cdd is a tool that tries to make it easy to create subsets of
Debian: you give it a debian version to build from (wheezy, jessie..), a
list of packages, some debconf preseedings, and you get an ISO image.

To do that it coordinates reprepro, debian-cd and a bunch of other
utilities. I've recently been porting simple-cdd to python, and in the
process I refactored it so that it contains more internal documentation.
The list of relevant environment variables to control the process is
quite daunting: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/simple-cdd.git/tree/build-simple-cdd?h=topython#n277

There's nontrivial work to be done there, and the result means making it
easy to build package collections to support all sorts of interesting
deployment and distribution workflows, with d-i images, live images,
preinstalled tarballs, docker contains or what have you.

And then it gets deployed and it's a standard Debian, well known, with
clean upgrade paths and security support.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>