Re: About the recent DD retirements

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 10:57 +0000, Anthony Towns wrote:

>  - having automated scripts pull everything from CPAN (et al), package
>    it as debs, and publish it

That already exists IIRC but I don't know where it is.

If you want to work on the more general problem here I'd suggest looking
at two things related to this:

GoboLinux's package manager has the concept of foreign packages and is
able to deal with them quite well. I can't find a reference for this but
there was a talk at the distros miniconf at LCA in Wellington.

DEP-11 will eventually allow us to run commands like below, allowing us
to catch up with RPM's ability to put non-RPM things in Provides.

apt-get install --perl HTML::Parser
apt-get install --binary man
apt-get install --header zlib.h
apt-get install --firmware carl9170-1
https://wiki.debian.org/DEP-11

> Isn't that statement alone a pretty clear indication that Debian's not
> addressing the packaging problems of today?

I didn't say that we aren't packaging web stuff. That is definitely
happening, countless ruby/npm/php modules have entered Debian in recent
years. The thing that isn't happening is Debian-specific policy and
standards for packaging web stuff.

> Why is that something "the GNOME folks" are doing, but "the Debian
> folks" aren't?

GNOME are interested in containers since they want "apps", where
applications come with the libraries they depend on, either via static
binaries or bundling but Debian generally considers that a bad idea.
Most of the containerisation stuff in recent years is focussed on that.

> My last phone (nexus 4) lasted a bit over two years, which is longer
> than my current laptop is going to last, I think, given they keycaps
> are starting to fall off. My tablet gets much less use, but is about
> two and a half I think.

The difference is that your x86 laptop will get supported by the Linux
kernel community during its lifetime but your ARM devices probably wont.

> In any event, cyanogenmod already demonstrates that the free software
> world can support them.

The cyanogenmod model (and Replicant) for supporting devices is one fork
of the Android version of the Linux kernel per device...

> > It is also much more work to do things the Debian way.
> In so far as that's true, it's a problem to be fixed.

I'm not sure that is something that is fixable. It is simply more work
to care about licenses and license compatibility, to package deps
separately, to do security audits, to do QA on packages and code etc.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise