Re: Systemd

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
> On 01/19/2015 at 11:52 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Christian Mueller <chris@mumac.de> writes:

>>> Quite a few pieces I may or may not be willing to part with but
>>> the printer driver is something I definitely need. If I had to
>>> guess, I'd say the previous udev-based script which loaded the
>>> printer firmware has been replaced by systemd events of some sort
>>> but I didn't really investigate.

>> Doubtful.  It's probably just assuming logind instead of ConsoleKit,
>> which is something different than the systemd unit file support.

> The chain is printer-driver-postscript-hp -> hplip -> policykit-1 ->
> libpam-systemd -> systemd.

> So apparently it's PolicyKit, not ConsoleKit, but still almost certainly
> logind.

I think that's PolicyKit wanting to use logind for something it previously
used ConsoleKit for, and the changelog for the package seems to back that
up.

Really, the vast majority of dependencies on systemd in the archive are
for things that want to use logind, generally indirected through
libpam-systemd, and generally stuff that used to use ConsoleKit.  The
single most productive thing that people who don't want to use logind at
all (and have the cycles to put into development work towards that end)
could do is either revitalize ConsoleKit or reimplement logind in a way
that would be acceptable to all of these various upstreams, including the
DEs and PolicyKit.