Re: Systemd

Hi Scott (and Debian at large),

I just tried to update to Jessie and couldn't remove systemd because there were already dependencies to it which I could not ignore (I'm using XFCE, thus this is not strictly a Gnome thing):

# apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove systemd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  aptdaemon* brasero* colord* gnome-disk-utility* gvfs* gvfs-backends*
  gvfs-daemons* gvfs-fuse* hplip* libpam-systemd* libpwquality-common*
libpwquality1* policykit-1* policykit-1-gnome* printer-driver-postscript-hp*
  systemd* udisks2*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 17 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 30.2 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Quite a few pieces I may or may not be willing to part with but the printer driver is something I definitely need. If I had to guess, I'd say the previous udev-based script which loaded the printer firmware has been replaced by systemd events of some sort but I didn't really investigate. I also noticed that systemd-logind was running despite the fact that I tried really hard to get all of systemd deactivated.

This is all heading in the wrong direction and I restored my Wheezy root filesystem for the time being.

I'm now evaluating other options to get around systemd (Gentoo, Devuan, etc.). I'm not sure what the result of this is going to be but I really wish that, even this late in the process, the Jessie project would step back from systemd and evaluate other options such as openrc, or stick to sysvinit until the smoke has cleared and alternatives such as uselessd are ready to replace just the init system, not the whole infrastructure.

Thanks,
--Christian