Re: Systemd

Christian Mueller <chris@mumac.de> writes:

> I just tried to update to Jessie and couldn't remove systemd because
> there were already dependencies to it which I could not ignore (I'm
> using XFCE, thus this is not strictly a Gnome thing):

systemd (the collection of software) is required for a lot of desktop
environments because logind (which is part of the systemd binary package)
has replaced various previous ways of addressing console login and
permission handling (by virtue of being a rather better implementation of
those needs).  That doesn't mean that you need to run systemd the init
system.

In other words, if your concern is what init system you're running, you're
removing the wrong package.  The package you want to remove is
systemd-sysv, which is the package that configures systemd to run as the
system init system.

If you're instead trying to remove every piece of software that's part of
the systemd source package, that's not really supported and is unlikely to
be supported for jessie, so you're on your own there.  You might be able
to make it work, and other people are also interested in making that work,
so you may find some help, but it's not a release goal and it probably
won't work for everything.  It's a ton of work to completely avoid logind
for desktop environments, and there isn't a lot of enthusiasm to do that
work since logind works independent of running systemd as the init system,
using systemd-shim, and solves a lot of problems for a desktop
environment.

> Quite a few pieces I may or may not be willing to part with but the
> printer driver is something I definitely need. If I had to guess, I'd
> say the previous udev-based script which loaded the printer firmware has
> been replaced by systemd events of some sort but I didn't really
> investigate.

Doubtful.  It's probably just assuming logind instead of ConsoleKit, which
is something different than the systemd unit file support.