Re: Systemd

On 01/19/2015 at 07:27 AM, Tomas Tintera wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 09:00:04 +0100, Christian Mueller wrote:
>
>> I just tried to update to Jessie and couldn't remove systemd
>> because there were already dependencies to it which I could not
>> ignore (I'm using XFCE, thus this is not strictly a Gnome thing):
>
> I could not speak for Debian, but AFAIK this has nothing to do with
> Debian: it is a decision of the individual upstream maintainers to
> depend on systemd.
>
> Nevertheless, Debian offers a way to keep systemd installed and
> still use sysvinit as the init process: just remove systemd-sysv and
> install sysvinit-core.

That won't help if what he wants is to remove systemd itself, not to
avoid having systemd be the active init system.

There are potential reasons to do that; my experience indicates that
having libpam-systemd (which is in the dependency chain here) present
has potentially undesirable side effects, even without systemd as the
active init system. (I'm not going into detail on them right now not
because I want to spread FUD, but because it's been a while since I was
investigating the subject on more than a superficial level and I don't
recall exactly which behaviors turned out to be attributable to this.)

The solution here would be either to convince upstreams not to depend on
policykit, or to provide (restore?) and package a sufficiently
functional implementation of policykit which does not depend on
libpam-systemd.

--
   The Wanderer