Re: Systemd

That's the problem: I don't mind systemd's way of starting and stopping processes, that part is just fine. I just don't want the remaining bits with all their implications, one of which is that more and more programmers will write their code towards systems with systemd installed. Gnome already depends on systemd, despite all the comments from Gnome developers to remain portable, and other packages will follow suit. Sooner or later we all have to use systemd, or live with substantial limitations that did not exist before the introduction of systemd.

If I were to use use sysvinit in Jessie, I'd get the worst of both worlds: programs that depend more and more on systemd and a somewhat outdated (albeit still servicable) init system. What I would like is something like uselessd, a systemd variant without all the other crap (no logind, no journald, no cron replacement, just an init process that starts and stops daemons). And, more importantly, a distribution that says NO to the level of integration systemd tries to implement (which will sooner or later result in concepts you can find in Windows or OS X such as management consoles, binary file formats that require executables to process, etc).

Thanks,
--Christian