Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On 11/13/2014 at 12:29 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 04:53:30PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
>> The correct reaction to people not adopting your software is to
>> make your software better, not to conduct an aggressive marketing
>> campaign aimed at persuading upstreams to built it in as a
>> dependency, nor to overrun distro mailing lists with advocacy
>> messages.
>
> Instead of assuming that things are done in bad faith, be positive.
> People are reaching out to communicate. Any problem you want discuss
> you can. It should be applauded that people are communicating
> directly. You seem to assume bad faith; e.g. the suggestion that the
> main reason systemd is because of marketing, not because it actually
> fulfills needs. Suggest to make the effort to grasp a bit more into
> why things happened the way that they did while assuming the
> decisions were taken with the best intention ("Assume people mean
> well").
>
> FWIW, Lennart did proposed a hard dependency on systemd to GNOME.
> Indicates to me that he's very excited as a maintainer. GNOME said
> "no".

I find that interesting.

I recall being told that, while it is technically possible to compile
and use GNOME without systemd - specifically, without libpam-systemd and
its backend infrastructure - doing so now loses so much functionality
that the result is barely (if at all) worth using. (This is a
paraphrase.)

Is that not correct?

If it is correct, do you not consider that a "hard dependency"?

How would a GNOME with the proposed a "hard dependency" on systemd be
different, and/or behave differently in the absence of systemd, from the
one that currently exists?

(Feel free to point me to resources elsewhere on this subject, if such
exist, rather than responding in detail on-list.)

--
   The Wanderer