Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 04:53:30PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> The correct reaction to people not adopting your software is to make
> your software better, not to conduct an aggressive marketing campaign
> aimed at persuading upstreams to built it in as a dependency, nor to
> overrun distro mailing lists with advocacy messages.

Instead of assuming that things are done in bad faith, be positive.
People are reaching out to communicate. Any problem you want discuss you
can. It should be applauded that people are communicating directly. You
seem to assume bad faith; e.g. the suggestion that the main reason
systemd is because of marketing, not because it actually fulfills needs.
Suggest to make the effort to grasp a bit more into why things happened
the way that they did while assuming the decisions were taken with the
best intention ("Assume people mean well").

FWIW, Lennart did proposed a hard dependency on systemd to GNOME.
Indicates to me that he's very excited as a maintainer. GNOME said "no".

--
Regards,
Olav