Re: Reminder: Removing < 2048 bit keys from the Debian keyrings

On Sat, Nov 08, 2014 at 08:25:58PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 08, Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li> wrote:
>
> > Back in August I sent notification[0] about the fact that we will be
> > removing all keys less than 2048 from our keyrings at the end of the
> > year (31st December 2014). Sadly the response to this has been slower
> > than expected, and we still have about 439 keys that require
> > replacement.

> So the plan is that the beatings will continue until morale improves?

I am sorry you and those developers who have emailed me privately to
complain feel like I am engaging in some form of punishment or naming
and shaming. I deliberately did not include the list of affected
contributors in my August mail, despite being asked to be several
people.

At this point I'm now trying to make sure that absolutely no one can
claim that they were not warned about the forthcoming key removals; I
have also been criticised for having too soft an approach up to this
point, such that several people have felt that the first warning they
had that the project was phasing out shorter key lengths was the August
mail.

To reinforce Enrico's mail I'm well aware that there are people on the
list who are valiantly trying to get the signatures they need on new
keys, and have had legitimate issues with getting them. I ask the
project to help them where possible.

J.

--
101 things you can't have too much of : 19 - A Good Thing.