Re: How to add avatar image to BTS?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:52:07AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > We actually have a fully federated setup, so something as simple as what
> > Sune did will work:
> >
> > http://pusling.com/blog/?p=274
>
> In other words: All those people with proper avatars in BTS have setup
> some DNS record on one of their hosts and providing an image on one of
> their web servers (Jonas' hint seems to point to the same
> information).

No, that's not correct. We use libravatar as the fallback for people who
do not have a federated server set up.

People *can* set up a federated server if they don't wish to let
libravatar serve their icons or know their details, but they don't have to.

> this sounds like a waste of time just to add my image to some records
> in BTS.

All you have to do is have a properly set up account on libravatar.org.
If that's not working for you, it might be a bug in libravatar's setup,
or you might not have verified the e-mail associated by responding to
the e-mail they sent you.

My address works, and it works because I'm using libravatar, not a
federated server:

$ perl -MLibravatar::URL -e 'print libravatar_url(email => q(don@donarmstrong.com))'
http://cdn.libravatar.org/avatar/ef9dddd859f1f5a1fd6442a1ccf872ef

display <(GET $( perl -MLibravatar::URL -e 'print libravatar_url(email => q(don@donarmstrong.com))'))

Now, I suppose I could also fall farther back onto gravatar instead of
just libravatar, but I just figured that setting up an account on
libravatar was easy enough that I didn't need to bother.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
 -- Robert Heinlein