Re: Why discussions don't move from debian-private

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:01:27PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> A follow-up to this.  In response to the question of why so many
>> threads start on debian-private in the first place, I proposed the
>> following two explanations:

>> * debian-private does not contain irritating trolls.

> While this may indeed be a motivation for some, I absolutely disagree
> with that assessment.  debian-private suffers from the problem that
> unlike every other mailing list our project uses, new members are
> autosubscribed to it when they clear the NM queue.  As a result, it's
> perpetually beset by people who have long since stopped being active in
> more appropriate project discussion forums but who don't have the good
> sense to (or can't figure out how to) unsubscribe from -private.

Well, certainly everyone's entitled to their own opinion about this.  I
don't know which view of this is more prevelant: yours or mine.  I
definitely disagree with your perspective, though.  I would generally
prefer, other things being equal (which they generally aren't), to have a
project-wide discussion on debian-private than on debian-project or
debian-devel because the signal to noise ratio is much better on
debian-private.

I *don't* do this for conversations that I start to respect people's
general desire not to fall into that pattern, and because I think it's
important for non-DDs to have a say in those conversations.  But if just
left to a question of personal emotional preference, debian-private is a
much less irritating place to have a discussion.  So when looking for
reasons why people start discussions there instead of in public, I don't
think you should discount it.

> In practice I think the level of ongoing investment implied is very low.

It's high enough to filter out a lot of the noise.

As Brian mentioned, a mailing list to which only project contributors
could send but that everyone could read would get some of the way there
(although that's also open to various other types of attacks).  I think
that the existence of such a list would send an unfortunate message.  I'm
not sure what side of the tradeoff to come down on, and whether that
message isn't already being sent by debian-private.