Re: Why discussions don't move from debian-private

Le Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 08:56:00PM +0200, Jakub Wilk a écrit :

> Someone complained about a lengthy off-topic discussion taking place
> on debian-private

Hi Jakub,

I think that the best is to unsubscribe from debian-private altogether (which I
did).  Debian-private does not have an essential role in Debian's organisation,
and can be ignored completely.

If tomorrow there is an event that puts Debian's existence at a risk, I am
confident that DDs will be contacted directly.  If I remember correctly, this
is for instance what happened in the past with the OpenSSH incident (where DSA
SSH keys may have been compromised).  Also, it is easy to have a quick look at
the archives once or twice in the year when needed (mutt can open them).  Last
time I looked was when I was curious to see how extensive were the mailing list
bans (announced threre).

This said, I completely understand that people are fed up to see long threads
on debian-devel, where a large number of message came from non-contributors
talking to each other, and prefer using debian-private instead.  On my side, I
would not mind if listmasters were in a mood for more tempoary bans on
debian-devel.

I think that it is good to have a communication channel where people can relax
and be more causual, without having permanent public records that can be used
against them by employers etc. decades later.  It is just that email is a very
suboptimal tool for that task.

But if we accept the idea that debian-private is not just there for emergencies
and announcements about private life, I think that there is still one big
failure in the system: the extra privacy on debian-private does not seem to
bring any improvement compared with our public mailing lists regarding the
strong bias of who is posting: white occidental males.

In that sense, debian-private is not much useful to our Project.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan