Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

My apologies if my clumsy reply to the web version of the list damaged
attributions or broke the thread.

> Op woensdag 26 februari 2014 15:25:25 schreef u:
>> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>
> <snipped>>
>
>> - Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary discussion.
>> Lines longer than 80 characters are acceptable for
>> computer-generated output (e.g., ls -l). - Do not send automated
>> out-of-office or vacation messages. - Do not send test messages to
>> determine whether your mail client is working. - Do not send
>> subscription or unsubscription requests to the list address itself;
>> use the respective -request address instead. - Never send your
>> messages in HTML; use plain text instead. - Avoid sending large
>> attachments.
>
> While I agree that these are useful suggestions (and that therefore
> they probably should be retained), these sound more like technical
> guidelines; I don't think a code of _conduct_ should contain
> technical explanations on how to configure your mail client.
>
> So I would suggest that for these things, we create something else
> (not a code of conduct) that is maintained by you, our listmasters.
> The (proposed) code of conduct could obviously refer to it from the
> "further reading" section, if that seems appropriate.

<snipped>

I agree these don't belong in the code of conduct, but as they, and
related issues e.g.:-
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guidelines.2C_and_Tips
do create problems and provoke breaches of the proposed code of conduct,
and importantly, do affect the attention that gets paid to posts -
perhaps they belong in a some sort of "suggestions to make readers
happy" or "how to enhance the chances of your post being read"?
Preferably somewhere easy for people reading the code of conduct to find.

I understand that some posters find the suggestions onerous or
unnecessary but it does affect the amount of attention their posts get,
and there are legitimate reason why people may bin posts that don't
comply (or just give up trying to help).

Kind regards