Re: Restrictions for TOR connections on Debian IRC channels

On 13501 March 1977, Neil McGovern wrote:
>  Each channel that has the group @debian-ops in it's access list receives
>  a "/mode +b *!*@*.tor-irc.oftc.net". Those who are registered can ask
>  nickserv to provide them with a unique cloak tied to their account, with
>  "/msg nickserv set cloak on". Channels who do not have the @debian-ops
>  in the access list (/msg chanserv access #debian-foo list) would be
>  unaffected.

Its @debian-chanop that should be used.

A little more for the rest here that isn't so deep into IRC (and OFTC):
There are two groups every #debian-channel *can* use:

@debian-master
@debian-chanop

Those groups can be added to every #debian-* channel on OFTC, either as
an addition to the usual access list or as the only members - however
the channel wishes it. Obviously @debian-master should be set for the
MASTER access level while @debian-chanop for the CHANOP level. Note that
you can just use one of them if you dislike the other, you aren't forced
to use them.

This will add all people that are member of those groups to the channel
giving them the neccessary access to help out with the channel maintenance.
And here MASTER access means "Can do everything with the channel
settings and add/remove other people", while CHANOP translates to "Can
op themself in channel, issue bans, take care of the day-to-day actions"
(say, jump in when trolls are around).

Obviously there are many more people in the chanop group than in the
master ones.

And now the most technical part, actual commands:

/msg groupserv info @debian-chanop -> Information about it
/msg groupserv access @debian-chanop list -> Who is a member of the
                      group (and as such gains rights when you add it)

/msg chanserv access #debian-WHATEVERCHANNEL @debian-chanop CHANOP
/msg chanserv access #debian-WHATEVERCHANNEL @debian-master MASTER
  -> Add the group to the access list of the channel

and
/msg chanserv access #debian-WHATEVERCHANNEL list
shows the current access list of the channel.

> As this potentially affects a large number of channels, I'd appreciate
> any constructive feedback from the project before implementing.

I'm all for it. Those brainless kids that don't understand that "do the
work to keep status quo if you dislike the decision" is the way to go
should be kept out of the living world as much as possible.

--
bye, Joerg
<40293f1b.8130421@news.individual.de>