Re: Spam fighting in -ctte mailing list....

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:13:06AM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I hate to be *that guy*, but, these messages are not spam. They are damaging, time wasting and clutter our views of our mailing lists, this is true. Perhaps it is appropriate to use the spam architecture to clean them out.

The review interface offers more than binary spam/ham classification. These are the choices you have:

* Ham - Ontopic Content

* Spam - Absolutely surely spam. For example some people take offense to some comments on the lists, but that is not spam.

* Inappropriate - misguided ((un)subscribe to list, test messages, replies to spam messages, vac messages, spam backscatter, probably NOT votes sent to debian-devel instead of devotee) messages, is is not entirely clear what to do with those, but please tag them accordingly.

* Unsure - The Default. You are not sure if it is Spam or Ham or Inappropriate.

I believe that the hate mail we've been receiving should be classified as “Inappropriate”.

What do we do with replies to these mails, from respected and trusted people, such as (examples from another list)

https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/03/msg00065.html

Probably also should be tagged as “Inappropriate”.

In the future we could avoid such dilemmas if people kindly stopped feeding the trolls. :> If you can't resist the urge, then please at least feed them in private mails.

* Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>, 2014-03-03, 08:42:
In some sense, these mails having made their way to the list, it's more honest to keep them in the archive as an accurate record of Debian's (sometimes checkered) discussion history.

Hear, hear.

--
Jakub Wilk