Re: Debian services and Debian infrastructure

On Jan 7, 2014 3:48 AM, "Wouter Verhelst" <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> Op 05-01-14 14:28, Joerg Jaspert schreef:
> > On 13446 March 1977, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >> I'm worried that this situation is harmful for the project.
> >
> > Yes, seperate development with different requirements than the
> > production environment is harmful. It's a lesson that every larger
> > company with an IT Department goes through at some point - and it's
> > the same for our project.
> >
> > You need a development environment that is build and handled the same
> > way as the production environment. Sure you need to evolve that, it may
> > not stand still, with new requirements coming along, but you need to do
> > that in close work with the people maintaining the production one, to
> > ensure that the way thinks evolve is actually something that can be
> > mirrored in the area it is intended to be run later.
> >
> > (Alternatively you can have a free-for-all run development and then get
> >  a third env, in which you then try to get to run the new release in a
> >  (newer version of the) production env).
>
> Since DSA is using puppet extensively ATM, wouldn't it be better to have
> a documented procedure on how to set up a VM or chroot or similar
> environment that uses DSA's puppet recipes to set up a development
> instance? That way, people can make changes where necessary (while
> obviously understanding these changes may or may not be acceptable),
> don't have to worry about making a mistake and killing someone else's
> machine (after all, it's their own machine), etc.
>
> Just a thought.

Well the toolset that people in the fast moving startup world are using to provide devs with a local dev environment that very much approximates their multinode prod envs is a combination of vagrant, virtualbox, and the puppet/chef code used to provision those environments. (Basically a toolset to automate the provisioning of local VMs that are configured like their production machines).

I don't know enough about DSA infrastructure or the issues to say whether or not this would work for us, but it may be worth investigating.

-Brian