Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] anarcat

> On 2013-11-20 16:43:35, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] anarcat

> >> Can you expand on that?
> >
> > BGP anycast will just get you the closest one in term of metrics.  This
> > is probably the fewest number of cheapest hops.  There's no guarantee
> > those hops are going to be the shortest or fastest.
>
> It doesn't mean you will necessarily get "poor performance", you may,
> but then it's part of the idea of running BGP: you choose the paths..

Not really.  You choose some.  There are other players that will
manipulate paths to save themselves money or bandwidth too, so it's all
a bit like a real-time strategy game.

> I guess I am worried about forcing CDNs down the users' throats. I'd
> like us to keep a decentralised infrastructure that doesn't depend on
> those CDNs and allow people to run their own mirrors.
>
> Hopefully that will still be possible.

Nobody has talked about taking away rsync which you can use to run your
own mirror.  debmirror and others also support mirroring over HTTP so
you'll always be able to able to mirror if you want to.  Whether that's
possible has little or no bearing on if ftp.$cc.d.o is the default apt
download location or if it's some other CDN-ed name.  (Which isn't what
we're talking about initially, but a point we might eventually get to,
some years down the line.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen