Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

On 2013-11-20 16:43:35, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] anarcat
>
>> On 2013-11-14 10:37:21, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
>> > Yes.  If you're just anycasting an IP, you'll get pretty poor
>> > performance.
>>
>> Can you expand on that?
>
> BGP anycast will just get you the closest one in term of metrics.  This
> is probably the fewest number of cheapest hops.  There's no guarantee
> those hops are going to be the shortest or fastest.

It doesn't mean you will necessarily get "poor performance", you may,
but then it's part of the idea of running BGP: you choose the paths..

But I see your point: it's not simply plugging in an AS number and
announcing the netblock if you're not already running that AS. :)

>> I guess what I am saying is that doing incremental improvements over the
>> mirror infrastructure should be considered. I am worried that migrating
>> to a commercial CDN will be detrimental to the current infrastructure,
>> which are based on a spirit of free access and open knowledge, something
>> commercial CDNs seem to be alien to...
>
> We've waited for somebody to step up and actually do that.  Nobody is
> doing it.  Lots of proof-of-concept services out there, but nothing
> that's solid, tested and production ready.  How long would you like us
> to keep the current state before we actually do something about it?

Right, I hear you.

I guess I am worried about forcing CDNs down the users' throats. I'd
like us to keep a decentralised infrastructure that doesn't depend on
those CDNs and allow people to run their own mirrors.

Hopefully that will still be possible.

A.

--
Ils versent un pauvre miel sur leurs mots pourris et te parlent de pénurie
Et sur ta faim, sur tes amis, ils aiguisent leur appétit