Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

]] Stefano Zacchiroli

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 02:51:52PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > So, what would be the beneficial social effects of publishing the ban
> > > *duration*?
> >
> > The ban duration is an indication of how severe we think the violation
> > is.  You don't get a lifetime ban for a minor transgression and you
> > don't get a one-day ban for serious harassments.
>
> Of course. The question is: do you think disclosing ban duration will
> discourage bad behavior on our mailing lists more than just disclosing
> the bans currently in effect? (I don't.)

To the extent that publishing the bans in the first place is going to
help: yes, I think so.

Another important point is it will enable more oversight so you can see
that a ban was instated at $time and is due to be removed at $time+$x,
but now > $time+$x and it's still not removed and it's the possible to
poke the relevant people to get it fixed.  If the expiry is unknown, you
have no idea if the ban is still there on purpose or not.

--
Tollef Fog Heen