Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

Le lundi, 4 novembre 2013 15.08:05 Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 02:51:52PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > So, what would be the beneficial social effects of publishing the
> > > ban *duration*?
> >
> > The ban duration is an indication of how severe we think the
> > violation is.  You don't get a lifetime ban for a minor
> > transgression and you don't get a one-day ban for serious
> > harassments.
>
> Of course. The question is: do you think disclosing ban duration will
> discourage bad behavior on our mailing lists more than just disclosing
> the bans currently in effect? (I don't.)

That's a good point.

I think (and apparently you agree) that the banned person must get
notified of the duration of the ban; I think that this is absolutely
essential for the avoidance of blanket punishments. "Infinite ban"
should be used as very last resort [0] and subject to re-examination
anyway.

I do see some value in having the ban durations published along with the
rationales, as both these constitute the listmasters' decision for which
review should be possible. Where rationales (offending posts) carry
value for everyone because they show what behaviours are not OKay, I can
agree that durations mostly matter to those exercising the review.

Cheers,
OdyX

[0] I don't doubt it is.