Re: Debian participation into GNOME Outreach Program for Women

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 04:35:15PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> Le Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 09:32:47AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
>> >
>> > If not, we can do mission-specific fund raising, I wouldn't mind that
>> > either, as we do something similar for, say, DebConf already. It
>> > wouldn't be possible, in my opinion, to raise all the needed money
>> > before OPW application deadline. But I'm 100% sure that given few months
>> > we can raise the needed money. Hence, I do not see this as a blocker to
>> > go forward (as long as people believe in my prevision). Would you
>> > consider this acceptable?
>>
>> Hi Stefano and Sune,
>>
>> I think that projects such as the OPW are best suited for fundraising and I
>> would personally be keen on donating money.  Also, I think that it would be
>> fair to use Debian's money for the first round of OPW if the admins are
>> committed to use fundraising for the next rounds.
>>
>> This said, if the GSoC admins would like to redirect the money they bring in
>> Debian to the OPW I think that it would be fair to accept (do-o-cracy...).
>
> Purely my own opinion, not the view of the GSoC admins (or rather, not
> *verified* as our view), just mine:
>
> Yes. This would be amazing.
>
> The money each year goes to the *org*. We can spend it as an org, and
> really, it's up to the DPL. In years past, it was used to help pay for
> DebConf newbies, but I (personally) would rather see an OPW slot.
>
> *personally*
>

>> Bonus question: do we have good fundaising-management sofware packaged in
>> Debian ?  That could be an interesting project for the OPW ;)
>
> Indeed!
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Charles Plessy
>> Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

OK from my reading of
https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen#For_Organizations_and_Companies
it seems that Debian can be a participating "project", without also
being a financial sponsor. IE: We provide mentors and help select the
best project submissions. I think this sounds like a great idea, and
we should definitely pursue it. (Assuming my understanding is
correct.)

As for also acting as a sponsor, and providing Debian funds, I
personally support it, but sense we are less likely to find consensus
quickly enough on whether Debian funds should be spent on sponsorship.

Perhaps a compromise would be to join as a participating project, but
also help advertise the OPW's fundraising efforts to our community,
when letting people know about our participation.

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding how their program works.

Thanks,
Brian