Re: The "tell me if I'm being stupid" statement

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 10:11:01AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 01:30:17PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > Do we need explicit statements like this? I always had the impression
> > that everyone feels free to ask people to improve their behaviour (at
> > least in recent years) and that most people don't have a problem being
> > asked to improve their behaviour.
>
> Agreed. It really should be expected to be the default, with no need of
> stating explicit consent to it.

I agree as well, however, I *have* crossed this line (and I'm sorry
about that, I really am) in the past, and I don't get much of a "stop,
you're being a bit of a dick".

Since I don't mind poking people off-list about their messages, (and I
do do it, even without this little note here), I figured I'd make it
absolutely clear that I expect (nay, request!) that others do the same
to me.

I do *not* want this to be "paperwork" that gives "permission" to people
to do this, since I do agree with y'all.

I might leave it up to see how people react, I have zero problem
chalking this up to a loss :)

> In part because it sort of implies that the default is that you can't
> tell a friend if they're being stupid unless they have an explicit
> statement in the signature saying that you can.

I tried to use language that avoided implying this, I do agree the
default is to send mail, but almost no one does it.

> It would make logical sense, in this respect to have a signature saying
> "Please don't tell me if I'm being stupid: I know I am"[2] but I don't
> see this being usefully picked up anytime soon.

Indeed. I wasn't pushing for this to become a project-wide thing on
"opting-in" to the CoC, but rather, making explicit that I would prefer
strongly to hear from people, regardless of their level of activity in
Debian, when they think that I've crossed a line.

Anyway, I'm open to anything, it's just a small idea and small
experiment.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87