Re: Xfce by default

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 03:50:59PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 15:42:13 +0100, Stefan Mauerberger wrote:
> > Hi There!
> >
> > Just wanted to let you know that from my point of view it is a very bad
> > call changing Debian's default desktop once more. (... GNOME2 -> GNOME3
> > -> Xfce -> ???)
> IIRC, this was discussed days ago¹ on "debian-devel" mailing list.
> > I am nothing but a super stupid user and I do not care what is under the
> > hoods. Nevertheless, what I can tell you is that users are expecting
> > continuity! I do not want to change all of my habits for every new
> > release.
> > Be pragmatic and stay with GNOME3! That is the simple message I have to
> > make.
> If you ask me, I'm now more inclined to have no default desktop at all
> and ask the user what he/she wants to get when installing Debian from a
> big media (DVD) even if this action requires changes in the installer.
> ¹http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/10/thrd2.html#00496

This for me - no desktop installed by default - but an easy
way to choose whichever desktop you want if you want one -
would be ideal.

Can we produce a minimal netinst which does just this
for a default install and adds desktop selection
for an expert install.

This would be ideal for minimal servers, VMs and test