Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

On Sat, 2013-10-26 at 19:33 +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 10:46:41AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > This led to a philosophical debate about whether bans should be made public.
> > Alexander expressed concern that having them published could be harmful to a
> > person's reputation, since employers will google your name and see that
> > you've been banned from a large project such as Debian.
>
> I join Alexander on the above.
>
> > What do the rest of you think?
>
> I suggest we keep things civil, with respect for the persons involved.  It's
> really not up to Debian to harm someone's reputation, and that could reflect
> bad on Debian's reputation.
[...]

This is the same argument used to cover up all kinds of abuses.  Maybe
in the case of mailing list bans the infraction is minor enough that we
should not make a public record of it, but I am very sceptical of the
argument in general.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Editing code like this is akin to sticking plasters on the bleeding stump