debbugs status (Re: Help bringing bugs.debian.org / debbugs back on track)

Hi Paul,

Paul Wise wrote:
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

> However, I am not convinced that development of bugs.debian.org should go
> through Debbugs development. Unfortunately, I am not an ITS-s expert, and I
> can't recommend a particular engine. There are many free ITS engines, some
> of which are worst, but in general, as an engine user, I do not like Debbugs
> compared to most other engines. Debbugs's technology doesn't look great, but
> I'm entirely unaware of the internals. My skepticism on its future really
> comes from the current number of users and developers, and most importantly
> its advancement compared to alternatives. I can only agree that the ITS
> needs help and that Debbugs can use development, but I'm not convinced
> that's an optimal use of our currently nearly inexistent ITS manpower (see
>https://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-debbugs.png  ).

Please don't switch bugs.debian.org away from debbugs. I don't want to
have to leave the Debian project but some misguided folks doing that
would be one of the triggers for that. None of the other bug tracking
systems have anywhere near the amount of features or usability that
debbugs has.

Switching bugs.debian.org away from Debbugs does not mean switching to another ITS engine in its current form. As discussed, migrating from Debbugs would involve implementing some features Lucas mentioned which the average ITS engine doesn't have (unless one would have them all, which is as unlikely as desirable).

Lucas has mentioned some features, feel free to mention others. Even better, let's try to make http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems reflect Debbugs's feature richness as much as possible. Currently, what it reflects looks like the opposite of your perception. I'm not sure if version tracking should be mentioned and, if so, how ("version tracking" is short, but doesn't really say what we mean by that).
[...]

--
Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com