Re: Buying hardware with Debian money

On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 09:11 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum <leader@debian.org> writes:
>
> > C. Laptop for developer (expected cost: 1k-1.5k EUR?)
>
> I have no particular comment on the merits of this specific request, but
> that cost jumped out at me.  I don't know if systems are more expensive in
> Euros, but a System76 laptop that's more than adequate for Debian
> packaging (the Gazelle Professional, on which I'm writing this mail
> message and on which I do a bunch of my development) is only 750 USD.  You
> could probably get the cost down further with some more effort, although
> the System76 laptops are nice in that they'll work properly with Debian
> without any significant mucking about.

I've long used second-hand Thinkpads, bought at about 1 year old for
£300-£400 (roughly same number of EUR) either from a friend or via eBay.
Unless this developer is maintaining a monster package like chromium or
libreoffice, such a second-hand machine should be fine for Debian
development.  And I would expect that to be within the budget of a
'first world middle-class student', though perhaps that covers a wider
range of means than I think.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.