Re: Buying hardware with Debian money

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 08:48:58PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 05:41:39PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > B. Powerful machine for d-i development (expected cost: 1.5k-2k EUR?)
> > =====================================================================
>
> The estimation is a bit too large for a decent desktop machine.

Meh, I think that's about the right cost for a machine that we can
continue to use for a while. Sure we can buy cheep hardware, but I don't
think it's great to buy new hardware every other year.

> > >  1. performing more frequent d-i uploads:
> > >       http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2013/10/msg00194.html
> > >  2. implementing some kind of official images with backported linux
> > >     kernels (and possibly other needed bits from the right suite);
>
> Aren't this tasks better done on Debian server hardware instead of
> developer hardware?  Did the developer talk to DSA?

I have no objections at all to the d-i machine. I trust (if this request
is from who I hope it is) that it will be used 100% for Debian work, and
I trust their ability to use this machine to ensure Debian continues to
run smoothly.

Much love,
  Paul

--