Re: Buying hardware with Debian money

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 05:41:39PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> B. Powerful machine for d-i development (expected cost: 1.5k-2k EUR?)

The estimation is a bit too large for a decent desktop machine.

> >  1. performing more frequent d-i uploads:
> >       http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2013/10/msg00194.html
> >  2. implementing some kind of official images with backported linux
> >     kernels (and possibly other needed bits from the right suite);

Aren't this tasks better done on Debian server hardware instead of
developer hardware?  Did the developer talk to DSA?

> >  3. implementing automated regression testing, so that we can work
> >     properly on 1., 2., and also on stable uploads; dailies would also
> >     benefit from that; people from -cd@ (Steve, mostly) would probably
> >     appreciate it as well.

KVM should support nested VM on at least AMD hardware (however I did not
test that), so DSA may be able to provide something.

> - the specifics of the tasks justify hardware hosted locally (VNC to
>   a remote machine is possible of course, but latency makes it quite
>   inefficient to do testing that way)

The developer in question is located in australia, africa or south
america?  Otherwise there are DC near enough to not have a lot of
latency.

Bastian

--
What kind of love is that?  Not to be loved; never to have shown love.
		-- Commissioner Nancy Hedford, "Metamorphosis",