Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 07:54:04PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Simon Paillard said:
> > We already have a network of almost 400 packages mirrors around the world.
> > Using http.d.n, provides the CDN layer (not as much as optimal as anycast), so
> > we don't need to sort ourselves peering issues etc.
>
> The mirrors do a very good job of being near to our users in most cases
> (we have had some difficulty with things like security mirror coverage,
> but that's not your issue).  I know many people are happy with http.d.n,
> but you have to understand that it's not the same thing at all as a CDN -
> it's a single host, and it's in a single location.  Time to first byte
> will still suffer if you're coming from Australia.

Obviously, it's due to current unsponsored deployment.
* For a package of several kB, the first bytes (actually ~800B, measured) are
  not meaningful
* Our (mirrors@d.o) is to have http.d.n made official so that we can have an
instance like on each continent, then use GeoDNS, like security.d.o mirrors, to
achieve 2 goals: avoid SPOF, be closer to users.

--
Simon Paillard
mirrors team member