Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

>> Ultimately, we are of the opinion that the content delivery problem is a
>> solved one

> But apparently not one solved by free software included in Debian.
> Perhaps it's worth avoiding using it if that will help encourage the
> development of libre alternatives.

CDNs aren't really software problems.  They're infrastructure and network
peering problems.  I think all the software required is in Debian, but the
data centers, peering arragements, route advertisements, and so forth are
things that only make sense to do at a larger scale than a single project.

We can do a home-brewed CDN -- that, after all, is what the various
services referenced in the original message are.  But one of the
commercial CDNs will have better performance and better load distribution
than one can do with software-only solutions without the peering setup and
data center distribution.